Problem - No matter how hard students study, proposal arguments are a more difficult subject to understand than anything else covered in the Writing Arguments text.
Solution - Skip Chapter 15.
Justification - The remainder of the Writing Arguments text covers much more of the tools and skills needed for arguments and there are only two weeks left in this course.
The problem with this unit's material is that it is very hard to comprehend when compared to the previous units' subject matter. Proposal arguments require more of a deeply concentrated strategy than just employing the ideas and concepts of the Rhetorical Triangle. They require a more audience-concentrated look into convincing the reader, predicting their reactions, and evaluating the consequences of said proposal. Furthermore, proposals require a lot more specific details about the problem. The utilization of “claim type” strategies or “stock issues” strategies is strongly recommended, although the text does not provide a solid definition of either. It is NEVER safe to assume, although that is what is requested from this unit.
Let’s Just Move On To The Next Unit…Why?
There are only two weeks left for this course and still a lot of material to cover. Because the benefit of covering more material outweighs the cost of being overwhelmed by proposals and possibly receiving a lower grade, this request should be considered. If Chapter 15 is skipped, having already made some really good arguments as a result of the material covered in earlier units, the learning process is not stunted by the confusion inflicted by learning proposal arguments.
--- This argument is a good example of the usage of “claims type” strategy. In explaining an argument with any sort of reasonable meaning, it becomes characteristic of a "claims type" strategy.
On the other hand, using the "stock issues" strategy would completely kill this whole argument TO DEATH…further supporting the idea that Chapter 15 should be skipped.
I really like that you used a proposal argument format to illustrate what you learned while reading Chapter 15. I wish I had read it before the chapter itself! It makes the whole chapter very clear to me!
ReplyDeleteI agree with your proposal 150%. Chapter 15 was hard for me to comprehend, I felt as though I was reading gibberish, which is how I have felt through the majority of this course. SIGH... I really enjoy reading your blogs. They are interesting and always grab my attention. I like how you say that “the problem with this unit’s material is very hard to comprehend”, that hit home for me. It was very hard for me to comprehend, as I said before, it was like reading gibberish. I like how you incorporated what you and probably many others are struggling with in this unit and used it to make your proposal argument. That was very clever! I believe you grabbed the audience’s attention with this one! Great blog!
ReplyDeleteI got to say I loved your blog about chapter 15. I agree, proposals are already difficult enough to write and be successful, now you add the rhetorical triangle and it should be illegal in all 50 states for crimes against humanities. I sent my essay in and released I most likely didn’t use all of the triangle, because for me it just didn’t make sense. If I’m supposed to persuade someone to follow my idea why would I use all the elements in the triangle? I don’t want to give him both sides of an argument just my side and prove to him why it would be in his best interests. Thank god I wasn’t the only one thinking this unit was hard. Also your blog was original in the way it was written, loved that too.
ReplyDelete