The campaign trail is easily the most argumentative side of politics. Not only do the candidates debate with one another, as well as the media, they also have to convince the citizens that they are worthy of a vote. They present facts about political problems/issues, degrade current political practices, and slander their competitors all in the name of a vote. The biggest part of a politician's argument is his/her credibility. It's no wonder that there is always a controversial story to be found about a candidate, usually leaked to the press by an opponent.
When Barack Hussein Obama was running for President, I was not on his bandwagon. He was neither interesting nor familiar. Also, Obama sounds too much like Osama. As his campaign continued, I began to listen to some of the issues he so eloquently discussed. After doing a little research, I found that he did have some credible political experience.
Obama used the country's overall declining morale to his advantage. The "Yes We Can" slogan narrowly touched the majority of issues that the people of a declining economy wanted to hear: unemployment, health care, the war, raising minimum wage, tax breaks, and education. For each issue Obama not only described the problem, but he claimed a systematic way of fixing the problem and maximizing the results while minimizing the costs of this change. He probably didn't believe one fourth of what he was saying, but it sounded really convincing. If thousands of people start saying yes we can, there's gotta be a great deal of respect and trust in these claims.
I'm on the fence about Obama now, but he definitely got me when he needed me most. While many of his "proposals" are yet to happen, he's already begun to gain people's trust again with the "progress is a process" excuse/reason/reference. Obama is definitely a good proposal argument writer and politician. I also heard that he owns a hardware store and lots of luxurious log cabins.
President Obama is a wonderful speaker, the likes of which we have not seen since Ronald Reagan. The way he mobilized the young vote and got people active in his campaign were unlike I have ever seen before. I remember people posting Facebook pictures of their ballot; that is how excited they were. What was it about his style that got you interested in him? I can see that his style of communication had a strong effect on you. Your tone seems to show that you disagree with him, yet he still appeals to you. That is a powerful communicator! Leaving politics aside, I personally enjoy the way he talks. He appeals to me on an ethos front, he talks in a very reassuring way.
ReplyDelete